Saturday, September 27, 2008

Public Speaking Tips – Why You Should Tell Stories During Your Speech



Storytelling is a powerful medium when it comes to public speaking and you’ll notice that the majority of popular public speakers these days have a series or wide collections of funny and other emotional stories to tell.

Stories that make you laugh, cry, sadden and other emotional feelings are the best stories to tell as it give your audience a roller coaster of emotions. The more emotions they feel the more of a connection and rapport they’ll feel towards you.

I recall at that at one point I told a story about a dear friend of mine who had lost his way when it came to love, he had everything at one point and then gave it all up and now he’s lost, alone and very sad, my story about my dear friend was a long one (not to be repeated here) and I could feel the energy in my seminar room warm towards me after this story.

Its strange and very funny at the same time.

Storytelling in public speaking is considered a norm these days with many public speakers taking up storytelling classes and coaching to gain that sense of rapport with their audience.

Storytelling is an art form and we should be happy of that, as this means the more we practice the craft of storytelling the better we’ll become at it.

I hope you enjoyed this quick article on storytelling in public speaking.

Alex Ryan

Recent Posts:

No comments: